150-employee software development company offering full range of services from software design to QA testing.
Software Development Company: Twice as Much Leads for the 40% of the Original Cost Per Conversion
Client’s main goal was to increase the number of leads from Google Ads campaigns without exceeding optimal cost per conversion under the predefined monthly budget.
Client has been using Google Ads for a while before we stepped in. They got only a few leads each month and cost per conversion was too high to justify Google Ads spending.
By default, cost-per-click bid for keywords in this industry is quite high, so we decided to focus our efforts on finding the ways to influence the cost. For that, we created the plan how to improve the quality of ads and keywords.
Also, we suggested hypotheses and conducted experiments in Google Ads aiming at reaching more prospects while staying within budget limits.
We analyzed and discussed with the client the most perspective company services and locations for PPC advertising.
After that, we agreed on KPIs :
- Cost per conversion
- The number of conversions- contact form submission, whitepaper downloads, interactions with the live chat
- Conversion rate
- Traffic quality metrics: Bounce Rate, Pages / Session, Average Session Duration
We examined the existing Google Ads account of the client carefully. That helped us to determine what needed to be done in the very beginning.
During this stage, we accomplished the following:
- Restructuring of campaigns and ad groups to improve Quality Score of keywords and make it convenient to navigate through the account
- Configuration of custom alerts for budget over/underspending and traffic drop
- Creation of automated rules to adjust bids for different type of keywords automatically according to their average position
- Segmentation of campaigns into categories to apply different strategies for them later
- Assigning labels to different segments of campaigns, ag groups and keywords
Luckily, we were able to take advantage of the historical data in the account and analyze its performance from different angles.
We started with the analysis of conversions and traffic quality. For example, we examined conversions grouped by certain time of day, day of the week, matching type of keywords and location to see if any regularity would emerge.
We noticed that more than a half of all conversions was happening during a certain time of day. Also, the analysis showed that a lot of conversions were attributed to visitors of one particular country. This information helped us re-adjust keywords bids accordingly.
Besides, we took a look at traffic quality of different campaigns and ad groups to see which ones were the most effective.
After we knew what regions, matching types of keywords and campaigns brought in the majority of conversions and visitors of a high quality, we checked how different Google Ads and GA metrics correlate with each other.
As a result, we came up with the minimum required percentage of high-quality visitors vs. all Google Ads traffic we get to maintain 2% conversion rate.
Based on analysis and observations, we proposed the overall strategy and took responsibility for its execution. Simultaneously, we performed routine activities necessary to sustain a stable account performance:
- Maintaining top positions for the most promising keywords
- Revision and rewriting of ad copies to improve CTR and Ad Relevance metrics
- Filtering of poorly performing manual placements in Display campaigns
- Examination of user search terms to detect new negative and perspective keywords
- Experiments with new keywords that had the potential to generate more leads
Within 7 months we managed to bring cost per conversion down by 59% and double the number of conversions.
Step up! Let’s discuss your project
Get in touch and we will help your company distribute more products and services through the Internet